Permanent residency is similar to temporary residency except that there is no time limit: permanent residents may stay in Chile for as long as they would like, receiving all of the benefits of having a cedula and RUN, with no need to renew their residency.

Who Is Eligible?

There are four possible justifications for your being granted a permanent residency, and at least one of them must pertain to you if you wish to apply:


Application Process and Checklist

The application process for permanent residency is very similar to the process for temporary residency, with some differences in the necessary documentation.

You may apply yourself or by granting power of attorney to a third party. You or your representative must go in person to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Immigration.

You may initiate the application within 60 days of the expiration of your temporary visa.

Here is a complete list of the documents necessary for the permanent residency application:


Documents Required from All Applicants:

  • Application form for Permanent Residency, filled-out and signed.
  • Certificate issued by the Civil Registry (Registro Civil) verifying that your documents are legitimate.
  • Travel Certificate (certificado de viajes) (original) that covers at least your final year of temporary residency. You can obtain a travel certificate at the offices of the International Police (not required for those applying for residency as dependents)
  • Photocopy of both sides of your cedula
  • Photocopy and original of the certificate of registration issued by the International Police (not required for children under 18 years)
  • Photocopy of valid passport, including identification pages and any visas relevant to your application
  • Personal letter stating why you are applying for permanent residency
  • Three recent passport-size photographs (3×2 cm.)


Additional Documents According to Temporary Residency Type



  • Photocopy of company bylaws
  • Registration certificate issued by the SII (Chile’s tax agency)
  • Photocopy of last 8 IVA (added-value tax) payments
  • Photocopy of company’s most recent tax return
  • Last income statement showing how much you received in remuneration as a member of the company
  • Proof of payment of municipal license (patente municipal)
  • Corporate shareholders must show a photocopy of the shareholder registration certificate.


If you have resided in Chile and worked as a freelancer, you must submit:

  • A photocopy of the registration certificate issued by the SII fees receipts of the last 8 months (photocopy).
  • Annual electronic boletas de honorarios statement
  • Photocopy of your last 8 IVA payments
  • Your most recent income tax statement
  • Copy of professional or technical title, legalized by the Department of Foreign Affairs, if necessary.



If you are applying for a residencia definitiva after having a visa temporaria sujeto a contrato, you must submit the following:

  • Copy of the current work and previous labor contracts, signed by the applicant.
  • Notarized current labor contract
  • Copies of any previous contract settlements (if applicable)
  • Receipt of payments for pension, social security, and health insurance contributions while in Chile
  • Marriage or birth certificate, in the case that you married a Chilean citizen or permanent resident or have had a child in Chile



If you are applying for permanent residency after having a temporary student visa:

  • Notarized copy of the certification, issued by the educational institution where you studied, showing your graduation from the program of study
  • Notarized statement of intent from future employer, stating that they are interested in hiring you and indicating the salary you will receive
  • Optionally, you can submit other documentation demonstrating your economic viability.  (Again, we recommend erring on the side of over-preparedness!)



Dependents of applicants for permanent residency must submit the following:

  • Photocopy of marriage certificate (if the dependent is a spouse)
  • Photocopy of birth certificate of dependent showing parents’ names (if the dependent is the child of the visa holder)
  • Photocopy of birth certificate of visa applicant showing parents’ names (if the dependent is the parent)
  • Notarized statement from the visa applicant stating that he/she will be economically responsible for the dependent